As a ethnographer and qualitative researcher, I don’t just consider what people say, I study what they do. I research human experiences and contexts, uncover patterns and assumptions, and synthesize findings to inspire programs, designs, and change. To do this, it takes both learning and conveying the story.
I have 18 years of research expertise across culture, health, technology assessment, international development, social impact, human experience, and field research projects. I have facilitated design research with farmers and engineers in West Africa, evaluated NGO programs, studied trauma in indigenous communities, researched Australian perceptions of the intersections between eating disordered behavior and obesity, explored the experience and context of infanticide in Ghana, and observed American physician and patient experiences with new technologies in the clinic. I am also an experienced program director, author, and research mentor.
Anthropologists deliver meaning-rich, contextualized findings. My ethnographic and psychocultural methods challenge conventional thinking and make sense of complexity. I ask nuanced questions and bring holism and humanity into the research process. In addition to executing all aspects of research design, data collection, analysis, and synthesis, I specialize in:
• A range of qualitative, mixed, and ethnographic methods (in any context)
• Participatory research and community-based projects
• Cross-cultural projects and sensitive or ambiguous topics
• International development, global health, and humanitarian engineering
• Program evaluation and impact analysis
• Theoretically grounded, nimble analysis and sensemaking that uncovers patterns and assumptions
• Methods that capture the unspoken, people’s perceptions, emotions, and experiences, and what is most at stake in their lives
• Design and systems thinking paradigms
• Program leadership and management. Multidisciplinary teams
• Writing and editing (technical, storytelling, proposal, and ethnographic)
• Translation and articulation of findings into actionable plans that can advance the human experience and inform design, health, or strategic goals
I am available for ethnographic and other field research projects for corporate, government, NGO, and nonprofit organizations seeking design, sensemaking, development, health, policy, and experience research. I am also available as an expert witness.
Contact me if you are interested.
View my academic specialities and projects here