I research human experiences and contexts, uncover patterns and assumptions, and synthesize findings to inspire programs, designs, and change. The numbers might tell you what people do. I will show you what they mean.
I specialize in field research, community development, social impact, evaluation, and sensemaking projects. I’ve conducted and supervised over 30 research and development projects in diverse sociocultural and technological settings. For example, I’ve facilitated design research in West Africa, evaluated NGO programs, researched Australian perceptions of the intersections between eating disordered behavior and obesity, explored the cultural and ecological basis of infanticide in Ghana, and observed American physician and patient experiences with new technologies in the clinic.
Anthropologists deliver meaning-rich, contextualized findings. My ethnographic and psychocultural methods challenge conventional thinking and make sense of complexity. I ask nuanced questions, learn from the experience of others, articulate the “unknown unknowns,” and bring holism and humanity into the research process.
In addition to executing all aspects of research design, data collection, analysis, and synthesis, I specialize in:
• A range of qualitative, mixed, and ethnographic methods (in any context)
• Participatory research and community-based projects
• Cross-cultural projects and sensitive or ambiguous topics
• International development, global health, and humanitarian engineering
• Program evaluation and social impact analysis
• Theoretically grounded, nimble analysis and sensemaking that uncovers patterns and assumptions
• Methods that capture the unspoken, people’s perceptions, emotions, and experiences, and what is most at stake in their lives
• Design and systems thinking paradigms
• Writing and editing (technical, storytelling, proposal, and ethnographic)
• Translation and articulation of findings into actionable plans that can advance the human experience and inform design, health, or strategic goals
•View a comprehensive list of my methods here
I am available for ethnographic and other field research projects for corporate, government, NGO, and nonprofit organizations seeking design, sensemaking, international development, global health, policy, experience, and strategy research.
Contact me if you are interested.
View my academic specialities and projects here